Tuesday, July 12, 2011

I'm not good at keeping up with blogs. Especially not by date, so I will categorize:
Marrakech:
A couple of weekends ago I went on a trip to Casablanca and visited a massive mosque. It was very pretty, but it was built in the 80s, so I wasn't too impressed with it. Sure the dedication is impressive, but the technology of the 80s could have brought a lot more. It was the 2nd largest mosque in the world, and it was very large indeed. After the stop at Casablanca I went on to Marrakech. I stayed in a beautiful hotel with a gorgeous pool and wonderous amenities. After changing and unpacking a bit, I headed out with the group to dinner/tour of the square. The first tour of the city brought us to yet another mosque. This mosque is the happenin place at night, and many people hang out there. I'm not sure why though. We then walked (hungrily I might add) to the main square, where rows and rows of orange juice stands, food stands, and other stands plague your eyes as you are trying to dodge being bit by a rogue cobra, which isn't even there at night you later find out. Unfortunately our tour guide would not let us stay there very long, so we agreed to go back after dinner. Our dinner was nice, we sampled various types of juices and ate pasta and pathetic lamb chops. After dinner, my friend Dana and I decided to continue on in our goal of spending 100 dollars on orange juice. In Marrakech orange juice is approximately 50 cents a glass, we made it to 10 glasses that night and had to quit. We made it back to the hotel and slept off our sugar high. The next morning we went on some tours in the area, and went back to the square and the souk (market). Dana and I had 5 more glasses of juice. Success.  I also enjoyed shopping in the souk, however I must get better at bargaining. I bought a leather backpack, got my henna did (lolz), and bought a very pretty scarf for my mother. It was a good trip.
Here are some pictures:


Nice mosque in Marrakech.
Large mosque in Casablanca. Awesome jumping skillz.

Number 15 or so.



Cobra, only there during day for they may escape at night.
Another cobra, dancing in the street.
Orange juice rows. So good.

No comments:

Post a Comment